SUPPORT YOUR FELLOW STUDENTS!
- Nick Mourning, current M.A. student in Creative Writing, is a part of the Franke Center for the Arts’ Play Reading Series’ production of The Lion in Winter. Check it out this weekend: On Saturday, May 28, performances at 3:00 PM and 7:00 PM, and on Sunday, May 29th, one performance at 5:00 P.M. Admission is free. 214 East Mansion Street, Marshall. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=173101339412763
WORKSHOPS AND WRITERS’ GROUPS
- Poetry workshop with Dawn McDuffie. Virgil H. Carr Cultural Center, 311 E. Grand River Ave, Detroit. http://www.springfed.org Tuesday at 6:30.
EXHIBITS AND OTHER STUFF YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT:
- Watermarks from Venice Exhibit shows examples of early printed books produced in Venice from the fifteenth century onward. Harlan Hatcher Special Collections area of the Hatcher Graduate Library, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Monday-Friday 10 A.M. – 5 P.M. Beginning Monday, May 23rd.
- Historical Bookbindings: A Thousand Years of Structure and Style. Open every day (hours vary)in the Audubon Room of the Hatcher Graduate Library, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
OPEN MICS THIS WEEK:
- Open Mic Night (music and poetry) at Solid Grounds Coffeehouse, 133 W. Main Street, Ste. 222, Northville. http://www.solidgroundscoffeehouse.com Tuesday starting at 6 p.m.
- Next Shit Poetry Series / Starvin’ Artists Slam. Hosted by fluent with DJ Sicari. $5. 5Elements Gallery, 2661 Michigan Avenue, Detroit. Wednesday – no time listed.
- Bare Soul, a weekly open mic for poets, singers, musicians and comedians hosted by Black Ink Collective. $5 for an advanced ticket; $10 at the door. Hosted by poet Ben Jones and comedian Josh Adams. At 1515 Broadway, Detroit. (313) 799-4109. Thursday beginning at 9 p.m.
- The Main Course: A weekly open mic for poets, singers, musicians and comedians. At They Say, 267 Joseph Campau Street, Detroit. (313) 446-4682. Thursday – no time listed.\
- Creative Juicez Live Poetry Night : “Live poetry & singers; open mic backed by a live band. Affordable cuisine by Chef Chris; filled with spoken word, live jazz, visual art, R&B, and WHATEVER ELSE YOU BRING!” $10 / “slightly lower for open mic selectees.” At 17340 Lahser, 1 block north of Grand River, Detroit. (313) 544-0848. Saturday from 9 p.m. – 2 a.m.
- Open Mic (poetry and music). Sign up begins at 7:30, performances start at 8. The Coffee Bean, 884 Penniman Avenue, Plymouth. http://www.plymouthcoffeebean.com. Monday from 7:30-11 p.m.
LOCAL BOOK GROUPS:
- Classics Book Group: http://www.meetup.com/Ann-Arbor-Classics-Book-Group/
- Non-Fiction Book Group at Barnes & Noble: (734) 973-0846
- Fiction Readers’ Group at Barnes & Noble: (734) 973-0846
- Washtenaw Eat and Read Book Club (Ann Arbor/Ypsi): http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32880241577
- Rainbow Book Club – an LGBT-based reading club: http://sitemaker.umich.edu/queerbookclub/home
- Lez Reads – a lesbian book club http://lezread.com/
- African-American Authors Book Discussion Group at Ypsilanti District Library: http://www.ypsilibrary.org/events/african-american-authors-book-discussion-group-0
- Monday Evening Book Club (Monthly) at Ypsilanti District Library: http://www.ypsilibrary.org/events/monday-evening-book-group-1
- Mystery Lovers’ Book Club at Ypsilanti District Library: http://www.ypsilibrary.org/events/mystery-lovers-book-group-0
- International Book Club at the Chelsea Library
- Shakespeare and Epic Poetry Read Aloud Book Group: http://www.meetup.com/Plymouth-Shakespeare-Read-Aloud-Group/
- Mystery Readers’ Group at Barnes & Noble: (248) 348-0696
- Fiction Readers’ Group at Barnes & Noble: (248) 348-0696
- Book Discussion Group with Livonia Public Library: (734) 421-6600
- Fables and Reflections Book and Movie Group (“focused on sci fi and fantasy”): http://www.meetup.com/scififantasybookclub/
- Think, Reach, and Connect Book Club (nonfiction/personal growth): http://www.meetup.com/Think-Reach-and-Connect-Book-Club/
- Royal Oak Book Club: http://www.meetup.com/Royal-Oak-Book-Club/
- Urban Fiction Book Club at Chaney Branch of the Detroit Public Library http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/events/calendar_of_events_chaney.htm
- African-American Book Club – Elmwood Park Branch of Detroit Public Library http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/events/calendar_of_events_elmwood.htm
- African-American Book Club – Sherwood Forest Branch of Detroit Public Library http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/events/calendar_of_events_sherwood.htm
- Bowen Book Discussion – Bowen branch of Detroit Public Library http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/events/calendar_of_events_bowen.htm
- Campbell Book Discussion – at Campbell branch of Detroit Public Library http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/events/calendar_of_events_campbell2.htm
- Chandler Park Book Discussion at Chandler Park Branch of Detroit Public Library: http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/events/calendar_of_events_chandler.htm
- Chase Book Club at Chase Branch of Detroit Public Library: http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/events/calendar_of_events_chase.htm
- Duffield Book Club at Duffield Branch of Detroit Public Library: http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/events/calendar_of_events_duffield.htm
- Franklin Book Club at Franklin Branch of Detroit Public Library:
- Hubbard Book Club at Hubbard Branch of Detroit Public Library: http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/events/calendar_of_events_hubbard.htm
- Parkman Book Club at Parkman Branch of Detroit Public Library: http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/events/calendar_of_events_parkman.htm
- Redford Book Club at Redford Branch of Detroit Public Library: http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/events/calendar_of_events_redford.htm
- Wilder Book Club at Wilder Branch of Detroit Public Library: http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/events/calendar_of_events_wilder.htm
- Get-A-Clue Mystery Reading Group (Okemos): info on their next event: http://www.schulerbooks.com/event/get-%E2%80%93-clue-mystery-reading-group-welcomes-back-rosemary-harris-author-slugfest-okemos
- Hadassah Book Club: http://lansing.hadassah.org/site/pp.asp?c=ffILK0OAJoG&b=5063467
- “The Most Talked about Book Club in Lansing” (meets at Barnes & Noble): http://www.facebook.com/pages/Most-Talked-About-Book-Club-In-Lansing/179968975356876?sk=info
- Lansing Book Club & Game Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/lansing-bookclub-gamenight/
- Dog-Eared Dodgers – a book club dedicated to non-fiction: http://www.meetup.com/ReadDangerously/
If you know of an event you think would make a good addition to the list, e-mail Aylen Rounds at aylen.rounds @ gmail.com.